Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Says He Has Authority to Reduce Capital Gains Taxes
(08-21-2019, 09:12 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The trade war will only exacerbate a recession, but the recession will come, regardless.

I'm not an economist, so I cannot speak in absolutes, or even with relative confidence in what the signs of the recession mean.

But it seems like it can be avoided. I am not sure if the predictions regarding Trump's tax cuts being a sugar high are partially to blame or if the trade war is the key thing or if there is another factor that is creating this fear of recession. But I can't help but think that, if economists are seeing the signs of a recession, there is time to counteract them. 

The Trade War seems like the most direct cause. And as far as I can tell, it hasn't even yielded anything positive for the U.S. I've heard reports of it devastating a lot of people, particularly farmers. So the simplest course of action seems, to me, to be just ending the trade war.

And the craziest thing is that if Trump did end the trade war, I think it would actually improve his odds of winning in 2020 by a ton. Right now, basically the only thing Trump can hang his hat on is a strong economy. He has failed to enact many of the major policy changes that he promised, such as repealing Obamacare, repealing DACA, significant tax cuts for the middle class, building a wall on Mexico's dime, ending birthright citizenship, initiating a big bill for infrastructure, enacting term limits for Congress, renegotiating the Iran Deal etc.

His major wins have been the Supreme Court, significantly hurting ISIS, his stance on NATO (arguably. It's in the works) and the economy. So it's in his best interest to not lose the economy...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Says He Has Authority to Reduce Capital Gains Taxes - CJD - 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM