Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immigration Changes (Green Card Rules)
(08-21-2019, 03:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: There is no difference, other than in one statement I broadly said "non-white people" as opposed to "non-white people from predominatnely non-white countries." My meaning is the same: you're saying non-white immigrants are generally not able to attain or maintain a certain level of wealth.

That's not a strawman. You either believe it or you don't, but that's what you said.  

There absolutely is a difference.

(08-21-2019, 12:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So, again, you're saying that non-white people are by-and-large not going to attain or maintain higher wealth. I'm sure you have your reasons for it like saying that white nations tend to be richer, but you're still saying non-white people from predominantly non-white countries are not able to attain or maintain higher wealth

I fail to see the straw man in pointing out the exact thing you're saying. 

Your first statement is uses the phrase "by-and-large," which indicates the same thing as "on average." Statistically speaking, it will be a whole lot more difficult for people of color from non-WEIRD nations to pass the wealth test, which will result in a higher percentage of white immigration. Your second phrase includes a qualifier which makes the statement that unless a person is white and from a WEIRD nation they are not at all able to meet the requirements.

My statement that these policies would result in whiter immigration does not say that it would result in all-white immigration, which is what you're trying to claim I am saying, apparently.

Words have meaning, and you are absolutely creating a straw man with Dill and my statements. Neither one of us is saying this would mean that only white people would be able to immigrate to the US, now, but that it would result in a higher percentage of the immigration being white simply because of the global economic realities. Dill and I are pointing out the systemic racism that has been existent internationally for centuries and has caused predominately white, western nations to be wealthier.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Immigration Changes (Green Card Rules) - Belsnickel - 08-21-2019, 03:25 PM