Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB?
(08-25-2019, 10:27 PM)samhain Wrote: Meh, dead raccoons are funnier than regular garbage.  

Lots of guys in the league play in a lot of pain.  Some guys love the game and go forward.  It's rare for an upper-eschelon player to up and quit because of it.  Brett Favre had all the money he could ever spend and got pounded into hamburger.  They had to drag his grandpa-ass carcass off the field to get him to quit.

I'd also call the word "sacrifice" a bit of a mis-labeling of his reason for playing.  Doing anything for tens of millions of dollars is difficult for me to characterize as sacrifice.  Volunteering to fight a war is sacrifice.  Working in a mine is sacrifice.  People do shitty, thankless, physically demanding jobs that hurt them for enough pay to barely scrape by.  Playing a game that makes you a rock star and pays you a literal fortune doesn't quite meet that definition to me.

I agree with some of what you're saying. Should Indy be throwing a parade for him? Na. But there's also no reason to boo the guy for moving on after 4 straight years of rehab. I don't think anyone on here would've bashed Eifert for moving on after his latest injury. That's the closest comparison I can think of.

Palmer never dealt with as bad a stretch (injury wise) as Luck just had, and Favre never got seriously hurt. He was tough, but lets be real...he was also fortunate.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB? - Shake n Blake - 08-25-2019, 11:34 PM