Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB?
(08-26-2019, 12:03 AM)samhain Wrote: I'm not sure Eifert is much of a comparison.  Sure, he's the best receiving TE in the game when heathy, but that ain't very often.  We've long been conditioned to deal with him just not being available.  It's more surprising when he's actually playing.  At this point, he's a marginal player due do the aforementioned issues.  To be honest, many of us would probably rather move on and see cap money spent in other places than on a guy as prone to breaking as Tyler.

Palmer dealt with 2 ACLS and a shoulder issue that caused him to miss almost all of 2008.  He may not have had them all in a row, but he certainly had his share.  

Andrew Luck WAS the Indianapolis Colts.  He was coming off a pretty good year in 2018, and the team was probably a marginal title contender if he was healthy.  

My main issue with the guy is the timing.  At least when Carson spit the bit, he did it almost immediately after the 2010 season.  He at least gave his team a chance to draft a quarterback in April and prepare for a season.  Rich boy Luck just took his ball and went home 2 weeks before Colts fans thought they were going to make a run.  Even if you think the fans are a bunch of ignorant, unwashed plebeian turds, consider his teammates.  Some of them are probably in pain, too.  He just hung them all out to dry.  Same with the staff.  

Of course you don't think Eifert is a good comparison.  Smirk

Eifert showed elite ability and just kept dealing with serious injuries/rehab. I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. Not that skill level even factors into this discussion. It's mainly about understanding when a player has been dealing with a lot. I don't think you'll disagree that people would've understood if Eifert had chosen to walk away.

Palmer's injuries were spread out. How would he have reacted if his ACL and elbow injuries were all consecutive? I do remember hearing how rough his rehabs were. Imagine they were all consecutive.

As to the timing, Luck hadn't practiced all summer and reached a settlement with the Colts last week, which means the team has known about this for some time. https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/ind/indianapolis-colts

(08-26-2019, 12:03 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Good opportunity to give props to the 2009 team, though - RIP Cedric Benson.

Even that season we finished 9th in rush yards, but only 24th in yards per carry. We just ran a lot.

(08-26-2019, 12:42 AM)jason Wrote: Bad words are being said about him on these very forums... He let the team down. He let the fans down. ***** move. Learn to use a comb and razor. He wasn't all that great.... If we didn't have Rex at WR that one day, the legend of Andrew Luck would've been dispelled.

I totally agree with your post though. He is/ was a once in every 15 year talent at his position. It strikes me kinda funny that not only did RGIII win the Heisman in 2011. He was also named Rookie of the Year in 2012... Both of those awards should've went to Andrew Luck.

I know you're not saying these things, but:

1. Those fans need to suck it up. They were spoiled rotten at QB for 20+ years with Luck and Peyton Manning. They'll be fine. 

2. What kind of man worries about another man's beard? 

3. I used to say that Luck was overrated - and at the time he wasn't putting up the stats. That said, he had a couple of 4500 yard, 39 TD seasons since then that proved he was elite when healthy. 

4. Gotta disagree on RGIII though. 

RGIII : 3200 yards - 20 TDs - 5 INTs - 65.6% comp rate - 102.4 rating - 815 rush yards - 7 rush TDs
Luck: 4374 yards - 23 TDs - 18 INTs - 54.1% comp rate - 76.5 rating - 255 rush yards - 5 rush TDs

RGIII was far more efficient as a passer with much better rushing numbers. Despite playing 1 less game than Luck. I think RGIII's story is almost as sad as Luck's. They both showed incredible potential, only to suffer serious injuries. RGIII was never the same after Shannahan decided to throw him into that playoff game when he wasn't healthy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB? - Shake n Blake - 08-26-2019, 01:49 PM