Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Small town racism is alive and well
(08-26-2019, 10:18 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: At local levels like this party is less relevant, so it isn't always reported the way it is at State and Federal levels. At least that is my general understanding.

Even searching for it now, there is not really any mention of her party anywhere I look.

The fact that she cites God as her reasoning for opposing interracial marriage makes me believe she is likely a Republican but, hey, we can't know for sure, right? Ninja

I do think this is just more proof that you can't really self report on your level of racism.

The words "I'm not a racist" mean literally nothing. It's about actions and how those actions affect and/or are perceived by others, especially those you are speaking/acting for or against.

In this lady's warped mind, being against interracial marriage and wanting to keep her community white isn't racist. It's just maintaining the natural order of things. For her, races should not be commingled and that isn't racism, it's just fact. 

Or at least that is what it appears to be, based on her words. I can't say for certain that she's a racist. But she sure sounds like one.

LOL I can say for certain she is a racist.

There is a long tradition of bible-based segregation and this woman was probably raised in it.  Anti-miscegenation laws were prevalent in the South until the early '60s.

I don't think we can exclude self-reporting as a factor, just because this person doesn't seem good at it. But I agree with you and Dino, it can be problematic, and doesn't trump racist statements or behavior. Racism is still as racism does.

If someone says what Ms. Cramer said, and claims not to be a racist, it is likely she/he would also not see "racism" in many of Trump's actions either. Not a racist bone in his body. 

Dem (and Repub) claims his actions and statements are racist would then more likely just appear expressions of "hate," not evidence-based judgments.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Small town racism is alive and well - Dill - 08-26-2019, 04:59 PM