Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump's ethanol waivers are sparking rebellion in farm country
(08-27-2019, 11:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Maybe, in the short term.  Seeing as how China is a communist autocratic regime with complete control over their media we obviously can't know that for sure.  What we do know for sure is that we've fueled this regime's growth for decades and they rely on our continued laziness and shortsightedness to continue doing just that.  They also rely on the weaknesses of a democratic system, e.g. being subject to the fickle whim of the voters, to prevail.  As I previously said, you're exactly what China wants to see in an American.

If we stay with this tariff war and eventually China cracks, what impact do you believe that will have on the American people's day to day life?

When it comes to this tariff war, I am trying to see the forest for the trees in regards to the ultimate prize for winning, but I'm not sure exactly what that victory looks like.

Will the cost of Chinese goods significantly decrease, relative to what they were before the tariff war? Will the cost of American goods made from Chinese materials significantly decrease, relative to pre-tariff war?

Will our economy expand or otherwise prosper in a way not seen before the tariff war?

Or is the ultimate goal to hurt China because they're communists and America hates communists? And do we, the people, benefit from this at all?

The ultimate goal is not something that has been made clear to the American people and that's why I don't think it's a very popular trade war for Trump. All Americans see is the loss of jobs, the increased price of goods and the hardships put on people who made money selling to China, avenues which may be closed for good if China does succeed in setting up all their imports from other countries rather than America.

After all, Trump has made a lot of remarks about how big our trade deficit is with China for a while now. Now, I'm not an economist, but if we have a trade deficit with China before this tariff war, that would mean to me that we need China's goods more than they need our goods, since we were purchasing/importing vastly more Chinese goods than they were purchasing American goods (the definition of a trade deficit).

Trump has been painting America's relationship with China as a zero sum game for a long time now, but I'm not really sure that the evidence bares this out. 

All people who are against this tariff war see is a man who has proven over the course of his career that he does not make good financial decisions basically gambling with America's economy that China will blink before he does, using extraordinarily simple "tough guy" tactics while simultaneously throwing insults at the Federal Reserve leadership that he personally selected...

Is there something you're seeing that those people aren't?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump's ethanol waivers are sparking rebellion in farm country - CJD - 08-28-2019, 09:30 AM