Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its evident ZT doesn't care what Rd you were drafted
(08-28-2019, 11:52 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's a different offense and a different blocking scheme, so we really don't know what we have with Hopkins or any of the other players from last year.

Hopkins is also in a contract year and guys outplay their normal standard all the time in contract years to better position themselves for UFA.

If I'm Zac and Turner and my starting LG retired and my starting LT got hurt in OTA's, I would be doing everything to not get my starting QB killed.  Trey was PFF's top rated pass blocking C through the preseason.  I also have to make an evaluation on if Andy is my franchise QB or not.  Trotting him out there with lesser players that need experience isn't fair to him.

It's also tough to sell the players on competition and everyone getting a fair opportunity when the guys see a better player on the bench for a high draft pick.

Everyone starts the year 0-0 and every year teams surprise.  Saying we're not a contender before anyone has played any games that count isn't a good reason to start a guy who's been outplayed.

It's not about being fair to players, it's about winning games. The team has to play the best players it has at positions to have the best chance to win. Nothing is equal really. It's a team thing.

Every year every team has new players from the draft who need experience. Which position that is varies from year to year. Generally, we expect high picks to contribute immediately and they should. When a high pick takes years to develop they hurt the team as the team could have selected a player who could contribute right away, even if at a different position.

In the end, the team has to win and that is really the best job security any of these guys have, including the coaches.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Its evident ZT doesn't care what Rd you were drafted - BengalChris - 08-28-2019, 12:12 PM