Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Democratic Senators "Warn" SCOTUS
(08-27-2019, 02:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A little late to the party, but Think Progress, a very left leaning organization agrees with my premise.  They state the Dems have "declared war" on the SCOTUS.  The difference between the two of us is that I think that's a bad thing.

https://thinkprogress.org/five-democratic-senators-just-declared-all-out-war-on-the-supreme-court-7601fed719e6/

Lot of WHATTABOUTISM in that article. 

People should just be angry about Dem threats to the integrity and legitimacy of the appointment process and stop bringing up the past.
.............................................................................................................................................................................
Simply put, there’s a reason why Senate Republicans held a seat on the Supreme Court open for more than a year until a Republican president could fill it. Partisan control matters a great deal. It’s the difference between a constitutional ban on gerrymandering and the decision the Republican majority handed down last June, which held that partisan gerrymandering cannot be questioned by federal judges. It’s the difference between a robust Voting Rights Act and skeletal voting-rights protections picked clean by the Supreme Court.

And, as Whitehouse correctly notes, it’s the difference between a nation that can keep deadly weapons out of the hands of murderers, and a nation where guns are largely unregulated.

The Whitehouse brief provoked predictable outrage from conservative outlets. The National Review’s David French calls it “the most malicious Supreme Court brief I’ve ever seen.

“The brief is so outside legal norms,” French claims, “that, had I drafted it as a member of the Supreme Court bar, I’d be concerned about facing legal sanction for recklessly impugning the integrity of the Court.”

Perhaps. But you know what was also outside of legal norms? A sitting judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit angrily confronting senators who credibly accused him of trying to rape Christine Blasey Ford — and then threatening revenge against those Senate Democrats. The Whitehouse brief is best read as several prominent Democrats’ response to “what goes around comes around.”

The decision to lock Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland out of the high court, and the decisions to muscle Judges Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh onto that court, are the kind of tactics that exposes the molten core of partisan politics at the heart of the Supreme Court’s high-minded rhetoric.

Neither Gorsuch nor Kavanuagh, moreover, possesses even the second-hand democratic legitimacy that normally attaches to presidential appointees. Both men were nominated by a president who lost the popular vote, and were confirmed by a bloc of senators who represent less than half of the country. . . .

In other words, Republicans may come to find that by seizing control of the judiciary through constitutional hardball, they did so much damage to their prize that it is no longer worth having. The Whitehouse brief is an early warning sign that Democratic elected officials are, at the very least, ambivalent about whether they should obey courts that are increasingly seen as illegitimate. If those courts push too hard, that ambivalence could harden into something that will do permanent damage to judicial power.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................

LOL "Wrong whoever does it?"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democratic Senators "Warn" SCOTUS - Dill - 08-28-2019, 06:17 PM