Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB?
(08-30-2019, 12:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know what you mean, and like I said this is just off-season banter.  If my past history is any indicator, I'm likely going to side with Dalton over "THE BENGALS" in the event that he becomes the popular target for "why we could never get it done."  I'm just a little ho-hum on the notion that we can't use a high pick on a starting QB until our QB room is the most glaring weakness we have.  At what point will that happen?  Dalton could retire today and we're still better at QB than we are at LB or o-line, so what's it going to take?

What bums me out is this notion that the Chiefs can draft Mahommes when they have Alex Smith and get an mvp season out of Mahommes right off the bat while trading Smith off for some sweet draft capital and that is something that we could NEVER EVER EVER do.  It just gets depressing at times when you think of the "shoulda been" victories we have.  We shoulda won it all in 2005 and 2015 and we shoulda had an MVP in Dalton while we unloaded AJ McCarron for a high pick on a dumbass Browns team and sunk them at the same time.  But we didn't.

And I'll admit I wasn't sold on Mahommes over Ross until Mike Brown took Ross and Andy Reid took Mahommes.  That's a rough bit of evidence to overlook there, but I guess time will tell and even if Mahommes is 10,000 times the player Ross is I apparently couldn't see the future so I never saw it coming.

I hear ya. I'm not dead set on spending a high pick on a QB, either, all I'm saying is that I'd prefer to wait until we have the supporting cast and infrastructure needed to prime him for success, and I don't think that's been the case for a few years. I don't want the Bengals to fall into the trap that so many teams seem to fall into where you draft a QB, put him in a bad offense with bad coaching and a bad offensive line, watch him struggle for a few years, and then repeat the whole process. We've certainly been down that route before as Bengals fans. I value stability at the QB position, especially when you're getting good play (which Andy does) at a very good price (which Andy has... for now). I certainly don't think that having Andy prohibits you from having success as some others do (not you).

As for the "should haves"... sadly that just comes along with Cincinnati sports in general. The Reds should have made the World Series in 2012 if Cueto doesn't get hurt, the Bearcats should have been able to predict a 20+ point lead to beat Nevada in the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago, the Bengals should have not handed the Steelers 30 free yards in 2015, and that list goes on and on. As a fan of all these teams noone gets more tired of the should haves than me... I guess I've gotta believe at some point it'll pay off and make it all worth it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andrew Luck retires... Chance for the Bengals to trade a promising QB? - NKURyan - 08-30-2019, 12:41 PM