Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
56 hours of our playlist for September 6th, 7th and 8th
(09-02-2019, 12:08 AM)jason Wrote: It's funny cause I was browsing the playlists that you posted... I grew up a big Iron Maiden fan, and still have a soft spot for them. It's not Run to the Hills... It's Moon Child, and Ghengis Khan, but then a couple of songs later it might be Desperado by the Eagles. I think at times, that kind of variety can throw me off cause I can be in a mood, but damn if it isn't refreshing for radio... Even apps like Pandora can start to get repetitive. I like that it's all from vinyl too. The cracks and hums just add to it. I remember when I first clicked on that link, some obscure Ratt song was playing...

Props for playing I'm Going Down by the Boss too. An underrated song if ever there was one.
This is how I decide most of the songs for my playlist

Record every album I can get my hands on by one artist (Let's say April Wine, 12 albums)
Break down every album into individual songs
Throw every album in a player in chronological order
Play song one for about 10 to 15 seconds . . . nah . .  play song two . . . nah . . . play song three . . . hmmmmm move thirty to 45 seconds deeper into the song . . . hmmmm
move onto song four and drag song three all the way to the bottom of the list.
Keep following this routine until I get through all of the albums.
Delete all of the remaining songs off of the player that didn't make the cut.

Now all I have left are the songs that intrigued me, but they haven't made the playlist yet, they've just earned the right to be heard a second time. Was I a prisoner of the moment when comparing song three with the rest of the old 1972 album? Will it hold up with the rest of the April Wine songs selected? After going through each song twice, I wound up with 47 songs that my buddies and I would have put on a mix tape for a road trip or fast forwarded our cassettes to hear these songs back in the 70s or 80s.

These bands all have over 40 songs in our rotation
Metallica 47 songs
Scorpions 47
Molly Hatchet 47
April Wine 47
Accept 47
Rush 46
George Thorogood 45 - DID NOT include One Bourbon, One Scotch And One Beer
AC-DC 43
Alaska's Hobo Jim 42
Judas Priest 41
The Beatles 41
The Offpsring 40
Sammy Hagar 40
Aerosmith 40
Iron Maiden 40

Only 3 songs off of AC/DC's classic album Back In Black - Given The Dog A Bone, Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution and Shake A Leg but SAL is off of the 1990 Live album, not BIB. Didn't put Back In Black, Hell's Bells Or Have A Drink On Me in my playlist because they've been played enough.

Speaking of which, I play Scorpions' Rock You Like A Hurricane, but I play the live version from World Wide Live, not the version you've heard a million times. Opposite of that, I play Bob Seger's Turn The Page, but I use the studio version, not the live version that has been played on the radio for over 40 years now. I attached David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust to Peter Schillings Major Tom (Coming Home) because it's part one and two of the story but by different artists from different decades.

We love vinyl because it's almost always the original mix, the way the artist and the producer intended it to be. The 90s had some twenty-nothing douchebag that graduated from some Tech U and said "Oh, look. We can make this louder and we can bring up those background instruments and then we can. . .  ' STOP!!!! The artists and the producers could have brought those levels up if they wanted to. I don't need you to re-vision their art and my childhood.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 56 hours of our playlist for September 6th, 7th and 8th - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 09-02-2019, 01:00 AM