Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction; Disease or Not?
(09-03-2019, 03:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think I mentioned I drank every day all day as well.  18 to 24 beers or other drinks every day.  I no longer do that.  Nobody is restraining me.  Are you claiming I wasn't addicted?  Do you believe Matt didn't have a psychological addiction to nicotine? And you are telling me that in one of the medical classes you took they stated a person cannot stop using through willpower? Maybe if you gave us your definition of addiction because I don't see any that say what you are saying. The AMA doesn't state that in their definition. If someone goes to rehab, what do you consider that? Or AA? I'm guessing you look at the word "inability" as something that can't be changed. It can.

I'm using the same definition, but maybe my understanding or perspective is different. Rehab and AA are forms of treatment used to overcome addiction. Those people aren't quitting through sheer willpower alone. (Edited to add) Look at the definition of addiction in the drug abuse.gov link Matt provided, characterized by an inability to quit. So it's listed in the definition.

I want you to Google "can you stop an addiction through willpower." There are lots of sources of information you can find there. After you have read some of those sources let me know if you still have questions.

Messages In This Thread
Addiction; Disease or Not? - jj22 - 08-30-2019, 05:24 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - jj22 - 08-30-2019, 05:26 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Au165 - 09-03-2019, 11:04 AM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-03-2019, 04:41 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Beaker - 09-02-2019, 01:52 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Beaker - 09-02-2019, 03:47 PM