Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction; Disease or Not?
(09-03-2019, 04:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm using the same definition, but maybe my understanding or perspective is different. Rehab and AA are forms of treatment used to overcome addiction. Those people aren't quitting through sheer willpower alone. (Edited to add) Look at the definition of addiction in the drug abuse.gov link Matt provided, characterized by an inability to quit. So it's listed in the definition.

I want you to Google "can you stop an addiction through willpower." There are lots of sources of information you can find there. After you have read some of those sources let me know if you still have questions.

Yes it's an inability.  An inability is not necessarily permanent.  Life events such as having a child or just saying enough is enough or hitting rock bottom can shift that.  Once you overcome that inability, you are no longer addicted.  It's odd that you think attending meetings means it's more than sheer willpower and therefore qualifies as an addiction.

Ummm no I don't have any questions for you.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Addiction; Disease or Not? - jj22 - 08-30-2019, 05:24 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - jj22 - 08-30-2019, 05:26 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Au165 - 09-03-2019, 11:04 AM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - michaelsean - 09-03-2019, 05:24 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Beaker - 09-02-2019, 01:52 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Beaker - 09-02-2019, 03:47 PM