Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction; Disease or Not?
(09-03-2019, 05:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes it's an inability.  An inability is not necessarily permanent.  Life events such as having a child or just saying enough is enough or hitting rock bottom can shift that.  Once you overcome that inability, you are no longer addicted.

Well, I've obviously done a poor job explaining.

You're correct.  It is not a permanent inability to quit nor did I state it was.  However, the inability to quit is a key distinguishing feature between abuse and addiction.  Addiction involves the compulsive use and the inability to quit.  Compulsive as in a mental disorder (similar to the compulsive component of OCD) in which they aren't able to stop abusing the substance even though they want to and they know it is adversely affecting them and most likely those around them.  They usually have multiple failed attempts at quitting because they aren't able to quit on their own without some sort of intervention/treatment.  This stems from the fact they have physiological changes from the abuse. (Akin to diabetic ketoacidosis . . . their body's chemistry is abnormal resulting in dysfunction.)

If someone is able to quit through sheer willpower they are more likely to suffer from substance abuse rather than addiction.  There is an exception for almost every rule, but to quote WebMD, "Alcohol use disorder is what doctors call it when you can’t control how much you drink and have trouble with your emotions when you’re not drinking. Some people may think the only way to deal with it is with willpower, as if it’s a problem they have to work through all on their own.

But alcohol use disorder is actually considered a brain disease. Alcohol causes changes in your brain that make it hard to quit. Trying to tough it out on your own can be like trying to cure appendicitis with cheerful thoughts. It’s not enough."

To put it in football terms, suggesting an addict can quit with just willpower alone is like suggesting every PeeWee WR should run routes and catch the ball like A.J. Green.  Neither idea is realistic for the vast majority.

Quote:It's odd that you think attending meetings means it's more than sheer willpower and therefore qualifies as an addiction.

Ummm no I don't have any questions for you.

I don't think a person suffers from addiction because the attend meetings like AA.  But, participants in AA are engaged in a type of group therapy/counseling and behavior modifications similar to seeing a psychologist for one on one counseling.  It is a form a treatment above and beyond just sheer willpower.  What would make me more likely suspect someone suffered from addiction is if they were finally able to overcome their addiction with the help of AA after failing to quit on their own (usually multiple times).  Does that make more sense?

Messages In This Thread
Addiction; Disease or Not? - jj22 - 08-30-2019, 05:24 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - jj22 - 08-30-2019, 05:26 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Au165 - 09-03-2019, 11:04 AM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-03-2019, 08:20 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Beaker - 09-02-2019, 01:52 PM
RE: Addiction; Disease or Not? - Beaker - 09-02-2019, 03:47 PM