Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Fear the 49ers Uncovered Old Merchant Marine Footage and Figured Out Lou's Playbook
(09-15-2019, 09:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: The only thing I can think of is they were scared of Kittle against 4-3 base in the passing game.

With no run game, AJ out, and the rest of our WR's just being bad, it's too easy to scheme to limit a WR.  Last week, Seattle worked to put the clamps on Boyd, but Ross went off.  This week, the 9 'ers mostly took Ross out of the game, but Boyd had a big day.  They need AJ back, another WR to step up, and/or to get the run game going.

I'm concerned about Mixon.  He was ok, but not great as a rookie and blew up last year.  As a rookie, we ran an outside zone blocking scheme.  Last year, we ran an inside zone scheme.  This year, we're back to an outside zone scheme.  

I've never been a Dalton hater, but he is what he is and I'm afraid it's time to move on.  With the size, athleticism, and arm strength limitations he has, he has to be able to go through his progressions and make the correct reads more than he does.  He does great with pre snap reads, but if his first read is covered, too many times he just goes deer in the headlights and eats a sack.  Too many picks trying to force the ball in, too many tipped passes at the line, too many errant throws, doesn't have the arm strength to make throws when he's on the move.  He's a decent starter, but there is no next level for him.  Sadly, it's time to play the QB lottery again.

He lacks pocket presence, elite mobility, etc. IF we had a loaded roster...he's the guy. But, with our team looking in need of 5-7 new starters...that's a rebuild. Probably makes sense to change QB's if we get a good shot at one.

I don't blame Dalton for this mess though. We're just a poorly managed team.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Fear the 49ers Uncovered Old Merchant Marine Footage and Figured Out Lou's Playbook - THE PISTONS - 09-15-2019, 10:09 PM