Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump
(09-25-2019, 03:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I know this labels me a "Trump supporter" among our more black and white world view posters, but based on what I've read I don't see the smoking gun they need to successfully impeach Trump.  What went on was certainly shady, but I don't think it's going to get the Dems anywhere near where they're trying to go.

I said it a long time ago and it's more true now than ever; the constant talk of impeachment from many Dems has made actually impeaching Trump nearly impossible without solid evidence of an act egregious enough to outrage the moderate citizens of this country.  I don't see this being it.  We certainly don't have all the facts yet, and what's to come may certainly change this, but I see impeachment proceedings working in Trump's favor long term.  I said this before, this will be political theatre at it's highest and Trump excels in political theatre.

I don't entirely disagree right now. I mean, what he did is impeachable. He violated the law even based on the memo about the phone call he made. That being said, it's not something the general public will see easily or care much about. This will certainly be political theater. The Democrats must spend their time wisely during this inquiry making their case to the American public before the vote in the House. They need to make their case so solid that any Republican voting against impeachment will be seen as nothing more than a partisan actor that only their base would accept the actions of. That's a tough uphill climb, no doubt.

All of that being said, I do find you a bit too dismissive of what is occurring here. There is at least one, possibly two, violations of campaign finance law laid out in the memo released today, which also means an abuse of power as he used the office to carry them out. Even when taken alone, those are impeachable offenses. I do agree, though, that the Democrats have made is more difficult to act on them by the way they have acted since he was elected. That and their objections to the impeachment inquiry of Clinton.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump - Belsnickel - 09-25-2019, 04:46 PM