Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the squabbles among fans of the same team?
(09-26-2019, 04:45 PM)3wt Wrote: It's a culture thing.   It takes a lot to change a team culture, workplace culture or family culture.   Culture change is truly rare.

In terms of examples I think of what happened in New England.   It took a new head coach and an injury to their "franchise" QB to jump start the team.  And more than a couple of years combined with that to establish a new and winning culture.  The Steelers were a really bad team before Rooney and Noll changed the culture.

I feel like it's happened successfully on the RAMs team, but took a couple of years.  I think it's happening in San Francisco, but has taken 3 years to take hold.   It happened in Seattle with Pete Carrol, and it happened with Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay but took a long time and was finally cashed in on by Gruden.

I think we have the start of a culture change happening.  But it's going to take some time.  ZT is going to have his own growing pains, and the jury is out on Tobin and the Blackburns.  I have been unhappy with much of the drafting since 2015, but it hasn't been a wash.  And the whole fiasco with the Hart contract has been discouraging.  But despite his growing pains I think ZT was a good hire and that encourages me.

As for this board, we have our own culture.  There are always those who beat a dead horse, become overly negative, vituperative or just plain nasty - including myself.   But by and large I like the culture here and the diversity of perspectives.  There are some pretty smart people on this board - and some really nice people.   I have those days like all of you where I get tired of the whining and negativity - but for the most part I really appreciate almost all of you.

We probably aren't going to the Super Bowl this year.   But personally I plan on sticking with the team and all of you.   I would be very unhappy if we did not have an NFL team - and I'm committed to this team since I've been around since 1968.

And I'd be very unhappy if this board was not around.  Hang in their brothers and sisters!

Culture is generally set from the top down. It's hard for someone in the middle to change it, but I'm sure Marvin and ZT tried/will try.

I really feel like IF they'd just hire more quality scouts, fire Tobin and replace him with an outsider with a proven football background, and start signing a couple upgrades in free agency...that this organization would win a playoff game over the next few seasons.

It's hard to change the culture when management and management practices stay the same. I'm sure there are rare coaches who could do it, but most would fail. Coughlin questioned if he could win here the way it was structured.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the squabbles among fans of the same team? - THE PISTONS - 09-26-2019, 04:55 PM