Poll: Would you trade Andy for draft picks and start Finley?
This poll is closed.
Yes
78.05%
32 78.05%
No
21.95%
9 21.95%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ryan Finley's pocket awareness
Ok, I'm all in favor of it being time to start moving on from Andy as the Bengals franchise QB, however I voted no to poll question as posed. Here's why.

I'm all for taking a good hard look at Ryan Finley, and making a decision on weather he's worth investing all of the developmental effort into making him "our guy". However, I don't think that the "good hard look' should come via "just getting thrown out there to the wolves".

I say that they should start giving him some time in games, like a relief pitcher. For example, if the Bengals find themselves down by two possessions in the 2nd half of a game? Give the kid a shot, get him some live time. He demonstrated some abilities in preseason that look completely worth taking a closer look at. Likely the best skill trait that Finley flashed, is pocket awareness. The ability to move in the pocket, keep focused down field, and extend a play. What he needs the extended developmental time on, is getting used to the speed of NFL defenses. On multiple occasions this Summer, I saw Finley make throws to players that were open, and would most likely have been completed passes in the college game. However with NFL speed, those windows close before the ball can get there. So, in addition to just plain getting used to NFL speed, he also needs work on timing and spot throws, the bread and butter plays of modern NFL offenses.

Now, should some team offer the perfect trade package for Andy, we need Ryan to have at least a little confidence, and be ready to step in. When I say "should some team offer the perfect trade package", I don't feel like that will happen by "shopping" Andy publicly. I'm thinking that shortly before the Oct 29th trade deadline, at least one team will decide that they are a contender, and be willing to pony up for Andy to either take over as starter or be there to come off the bench if needed. What are there, like 9 teams already without their starting QB, already this season? Look at the Saints, for example. Brees is out, and they are struggling mightily to score points with Teddy B. sailing balls over receivers' heads. I see them as a "perfect storm" type of prospective trade candidate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - Nati#1 - 10-01-2019, 12:51 PM
RE: Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - jason - 10-01-2019, 07:40 PM
RE: Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - HuDey - 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM
RE: Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - SunsetBengal - 10-01-2019, 09:50 PM
RE: Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - jason - 10-01-2019, 10:31 PM
RE: Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - jason - 10-01-2019, 11:45 PM
RE: Ryan Finley's pocket awareness - jason - 10-02-2019, 12:02 AM