Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should "retweeting" be a crime?
(10-02-2019, 09:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: You using the term retweet incorrectly...

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png]

As to the topic, it does raise a serious free speech question. Is simply sharing information criminal? It doesn't appear they did anything negative towards him with regards to said information (Teasing, intimidation, etc.). In reality, it doesn't appear anyone did anything derogatory to him based on the information but rather his fear of such a thing happening led to him committing suicide. I think for this to meet any sort of standard for bullying it would need to require some sort of malice, in most cases I'd think it would need to be repeated, towards the victim. Now maybe there is a more not mentioned here that shows a history of malice towards this individual, and in that case I could see this being the final piece of a larger case but for this to be the whole case I just can't get on board with a criminal charge here.

This heads down a slippery slope of what can and can't be shared. If someone DM's me they cheated on their spouse and I reshare that information without further commentary and they commit suicide does that make it criminal? What about if someone tells me they got fired I tell others and they kill themselves because they can't handle the shame or embarrassment of being fired? Do I think the kids are assholes? Yes. Are they criminals? No. 
And you used the term you incorrectly it's you're. OK that was a joke. Pat has already been kind enough to tell me I was wrong. I thought putting quotes around it would suffice.

As to you're point (did that on purpose) it's pretty much how I sea it (that two)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should "retweeting" be a crime? - bfine32 - 10-01-2019, 10:41 PM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - bfine32 - 10-02-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - CJD - 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM