Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should "retweeting" be a crime?
(10-07-2019, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you do something so mean and cruel to a person that you know it could lead to suicide then you should be criminally prosecuted.

You are saying a condition of criminal prosecution is the expectation someone should know something can lead to suicide? Who defines that? "Should know" is a very broad and tough legal position, especially in the case of minors. You are literally asking people to apply logic to a decision (suicide) that lacks logic. There are so many nuances to this that you just head down a slippery slope...
  • How many people are outed that don't kill themselves? Do we prosecute everyone who outs someone and they don't kill themselves with attempted murder? 
  • What if you say someone was fired from work for masturbating, mortifying right? If that person kills themselves are we charging them now? Does this only apply to outing someone or are we going to go after every possible reason someone may kill them self?
  • How do you have to share such information to be criminal? Is it criminal to tell one person? Does it require social media? How many followers do you need to have for it to be cruel and not just gossiping? 
If this was a female who had sex with a  male and the male told his friends they had sex and she killed herself in fear that her parents would disown her, are we still having this discussion? I feel like the "outing" piece is getting priority over the freedom of speech aspect here. While I can sympathies with the plight of the LGBTQ community, as I have seen family members deal with many of the issues that come with it, I refuse to start asking people to predict the mental state of others when sharing factual information. If the information was false this would be completely different, but it wasn't so while it was a "dick move" it wasn't criminal.

Messages In This Thread
Should "retweeting" be a crime? - bfine32 - 10-01-2019, 10:41 PM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - CJD - 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM
RE: Should "retweeting" be a crime? - Au165 - 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM