Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Democratic Senators "Warn" SCOTUS
(10-08-2019, 04:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I tend to err on the side of more power to state/local governments and more power to legislative authorities over judicial ones. I like the people to hold the power which means lower levels of government and democratically elected bodies. This would be why I am not in favor of a precedent that expands the authority of SCOTUS over a potential precedent, though a faulty one since it really doesn't benefit them, for state legislatures.

I can understand and accept the reasoning.  I would counter that this is such a brazen attempt by New York City and State to subvert the court process that rewarding them by accepting it is far more dangerous.  As stated, they could re-enact the same law in six months, restarting the whole court process, which takes years (in this case over three).  Also, as previously argued in the plaintiff's brief, there are fundamental issues that NYC and State have not rendered moot which directly correlate to the plaintiff's case.

If NYC and State actually cared about rendering this case moot they could have done it years ago.  They didn't because they were confident they would win and that SCOTUS would not take up the case.  The gambled and lost and it's time for them to pay the price.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democratic Senators "Warn" SCOTUS - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM