Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump
(10-09-2019, 11:23 AM)hollodero Wrote: *sigh*

I want to comment on two things. First, what kind of talking point is "there were impeachment cries from day 1, which was soooo ridiculous, hence no impeachment talk can ever be taken seriously again"? - This has to be among the intellectually worst arguments ever. On a sidenote, it's also factually doubtful. Who cried impeachment from day one? Maxine Waters? Someone on the streets? And what gives?

I actually called for impeachment on day 1, but CNN bumped my interview in favor of Sean Spicer's report on Trump's record inauguration turn out.

By standards of rational discourse, you are quite correct that "they called for impeachment from day 1" is no reason at all for disregarding the president's crimes and obstruction. Doesn't mean that is not an effective talking point for Trump voters, though.

(10-09-2019, 11:23 AM)hollodero Wrote: Second, all GOP defenders are aware that Trump is officially argueing in court that a president shall never be indicted, impeached or even investigated - and that Nixon was treated wrongly. This is actually amazing, that open quest for absolutism. Tough to defend imho, but some seem up to the challenge. Because someone was "hysterical" once or whatever. Solid reasons for sure.

You see a tripartite government in which the legislative and judicial branches apply legal checks to the executive, whose CEO is not above the law. But Trump supporters see a "legislative coup" underway to undo the 2016 elections.  Extraordinary times call for extraordinary legal measures. Declaration of emergency powers needed to protect the people's choice? 

(10-09-2019, 11:23 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh, and there is no "unofficial" inquiry. That talking point is flat-out wrong and even I know that. Congress has a right to oversight and denying them that right is unconstitutional. The inquiries are not. A vote in the house on impeachment procedures is not necessary for having that right.

Well YOU know that, but you don't get to vote.  Millions who do get to vote DON'T know that. 

Everyone who watches American crime tv knows that defendants are supposed to get a right to defend themselves, with a right to call their own witnesses and cross examine. None of that has squat to do with an "unofficial" impeachment inquiry, but it has tremendous appeal to voters encouraged to worry that Trump's "rights" are violated if he is held accountable--checked by Congress. 

If people like you manage to neutralize these talking points, there will be new ones out by Friday, just as effective. Watch Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes for the updates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump - Dill - 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM