Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump
(10-11-2019, 02:35 PM)Dill Wrote: Two senators per state = EQUALITY OF STATES in a federal system with a bicameral legislature.  This makes sense in a REAL federal system where states have their own courts and control over their schools and especially over corporate law.

States rights have nothing to with it. This is about the federal government, which should represent all Americans equally. And it does not. And that is just weird.
On a sidenote, it certainly overrepresents Republicans. Which is why I get that conservatives are fine with that. But especially now, aren't you seriously questioning how a senate could block any presidential impeachment, no matter how severe the accusations, just because a certain political group is grossly overrepresented there?
And I'm trying not to argue that one as an anti-Trump point - this is just weird in a principled sense.

I do get the sense though that while everyone despises the status quo, to question how anything is done is still quite unthinkable.

(10-11-2019, 02:35 PM)Dill Wrote: Are you referring to the European Council?

No, I'm referring to thought I consider sound and fair. Also, I would never refer to the current EU as a role model for democracy.

(10-11-2019, 02:35 PM)Dill Wrote: That's unfair if every EU member has one representative? More fair if representation there is proportional--nine Germans to one Austrian? I know some Germans who might agree. But color me puzzled. (unless I have misunderstood you.)

Well...in an United Europe's parliament with actual legislative power, sure only the number of citizens should determine the number of representatives per country in it. As for a possible second federalistic chamber (our senate), I can get why one would prefer overrepresenting the smaller countries in such a chamber. But I sure would find it ridiculous if Malta had just as big of a say in it as Germany or France. That would lead to overrepresenting fisher's problems.
But that wouldn't mean cutting into Malta's souvereignty as defined in some kind of European constitution. They can have their taxes, their local laws, independent school systems, court systems and whatnot. Just on matters regarding the whole United States of Europe, I don't feel the need to overrepresent Maltesian citizens. Or Austrian citizens for that matter.

And if we were to elect a common president (which I'd hope we are not, but whatever), then I also would very much be in favor of a big European box where every citizen throws an equally counted ballot in. No electors, no weighting, just counting all the votes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump - hollodero - 10-14-2019, 11:22 AM