Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Parents of U.K. teen killed in crash say they felt ambushed during Trump meeting
(10-17-2019, 04:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: Turns out he wasn't actually legally registered as a diplomat. Because of this he and his wife are not afforded immunity under the Vienna Convention. He apparently was just an intelligence technician, not an actual diplomat. Guess we can quit with the precedent argument and treat her like any other criminal now?

Sounds right, if diplomatic immunity was never in play. 

Here's my question, though. How did she ever make it out of the country? Did she deceive British authorities? You cannot just CLAIM immunity. You'd have to have the right gov ID/passport and immediate State Dept confirmation (e.g., from an appropriate official at Croughton).  If she presented all that something is wrong. British or American error there.  More details needed.  Even if you have a Gov or military ID, the British would sort that out first. We have a SOFA agreement with them.

I don't understand how ALL staff at Croughton could be covered by diplomatic unity. Though it might be possible if a technician has something very direct to do with comms.  

So I am curious what will happen.

I am personally curious about this case as I myself did something similar back in 2006. I didn't kill anyone but I did ram a car full of Brits in Ashford, Kent.  Both vehicles were total losses, but no one was hurt. Had someone been hurt, I'm sure I'd have been detained as the police were on the spot quickly. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parents of U.K. teen killed in crash say they felt ambushed during Trump meeting - Dill - 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM