Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Does Trump inspire hate from his followers?
(10-18-2019, 02:55 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't think anyone is accusing Trump of making the video.

The outrage stems from the message and full on support and defense of it by Trumpsters.

This is less about "making fun" of politicians, which is done every night on talk shows by comedians in the US, than it is about Trump's style and the content of his policies. 

The curious double standard running through discussion of the video has implications beyond humor.Trump can lie all day long without losing support, while accusing the MSM of lying when it tells the plain truth about his words and deeds. Millions believe him when calls the press the "enemy of the people." That is what authoritarian leaders do to limit and distort the kind of information required for an informed electorate. Trump defenses are all about "hate" rather than determinable facts. Those who criticize Trump for exactly what people should criticize him for--vulgar behavior, using the office to enrich himself, getting hundreds of our allies killed--are just people who would "criticize him no matter what."  That's like saying that when CNN fired kathy griffin for her beheaded Trump photograph, they would have fired her for anything.

As I have said before, you cannot defend Trump without lowering ethical standards nor support him without abandoning democratic norms.

If enough people agree with him that the MSM is fake news, then we are in a crisis of democracy. Enough of the electorate has simply separated its politics from factual and logical accountability to keep him in power and damaging US interests.   I can't sit back and laugh at that.

I've never claimed that it was fake. They've done a good enough job burying themselves with the half truths and misleading statements and cutting of interviewees in mid sentence to build a story. If you can't admit they do that, then tell me which network is a reliable evenly biased news source. I personally use a left and right source and try to find the middle ground. It's like 2 kids fighting, each has their own story, but the absolute truth lies somewhere in between.

For MSM it's all about baiting and getting those little clicks. Many people won't pay attention if it's not dramatized/sensationalized/and zingers batted back and forth. The days of Family Ties is long gone, people want Honey Boo Boo/NBA Wives drama now. It's just a cultural shift. Maybe in a few years, people will tire of it and it'll shift back or shift to the next big thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Trump inspire hate from his followers? - Mike M (the other one) - 10-18-2019, 03:45 PM