Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Concept of Giving a Coach a Few Years to Build a Team
(10-19-2019, 10:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And those are good points, that tie into this discussion in a different way: I remember reading that ZT was evaluating last years roster. I think we all get the offensive line issues with Glenn/Williams/Boling. (Although people were saying Boling was overrated in the offseason. And that Glenn wasn't a good Tackle. etc. But now they're HUGE losses.) Although, the Hart, Miller, Hopkins part of the line is 100% what they planned for in the offseason...so when 60% of the line is intact, we still can't run the ball.

But, Taylor and staff presumably signed off on bringing back Preston Brown. They designed the 2 LB scheme and put Brown and Vigil in it. They obviously targeted BW Webb as the Nickle CB that would essentially be used instead of a 3rd LB.

I feel like he is a bit young and naieve. A veteran coach would likely be like, I want to play Nickle. I need LB's with speed! Brown isn't that guy.

We can talk about how no one would succeed here because of personnel...but the coaching staff had atleast some hand in determining the personnel and they had total control over scheme.

It is interesting you dismiss last years early season wins as fools gold as you previously talked about how 4 of our losses were close. And I'd argue that a few of our losses this year are wins with better coaching staffs...better playcalls. Our staff uses the SAME gameplan EVERY game. Guys like Shannahan adjust each week to the opponent.

And the whole point of my thread isn't to say fire Taylor. But shouldn't we see improvement? IF we don't...if guys keep getting worse...we might be in worse shape next year. In that scenario, isn't a coach doing more damage than good?

I think you'll get a better idea of my thoughts on the game plan in the other thread where you mentioned that.... we're in agreement there, so I won't rehash it here.

As to last year's 4-1 start, I must admit I believed we were better than we actually were.

For the record, I'm not saying that NO ONE could succeed here. I'm sure there are some championship caliber coaches that could have a couple, if not more, wins by now. No question in my mind. That said, I expected the ceiling here to be 8-8 under a rookie HC with leftover scraps as subordinates after not being able to announce the hiring until February. Antiquated approach in FO, sketchy personnel with bad depth, and maybe misjudged talent on the coach's behalf. Then again, maybe the FO wanted an evaluation of the roster in his scheme before they went all hung ho purging the roster....you know, MB and all. I think it's the perfect shit storm for ushering in a new era with an inexperienced HC running the ship to boot. 

We have the same coaches on the back end of the defense where you point to the biggest regression, so that's a little odd to me.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Concept of Giving a Coach a Few Years to Build a Team - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-19-2019, 11:52 AM