Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nebraska Kills the Death Penalty
Yeah, I went there. Ninja

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty-in-landmark-override-vote/ar-BBkjM9n?ocid=ansnewsap11
Quote:LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska abolished the death penalty on Wednesday in a landmark veto-override vote backed by an unusual coalition of conservatives who oppose capital punishment.

Senators in the one-house Legislature voted 30-19 to override Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Republican who supports the death penalty. The vote makes Nebraska the first traditionally conservative state to eliminate the punishment since North Dakota in 1973.

Nebraska joins 18 other states and the District of Columbia in banning the ultimate punishment.

Some senators said they philosophically support the death penalty, but are convinced the state will never carry out another execution because of legal obstacles. Nebraska hasn't executed an inmate since a 1997 electrocution, and the state has never done so with its current lethal injection protocol.

I've made my opinion clear on the death penalty and my opposition to it for a number of reasons, so I see this as a victory. I will say that the growing controversy surround the drugs used for lethal injections and the efficacy as well as the question over whether or not it is cruel and unusual and the availability issues surrounding them will likely lead to more surprises like this in regards to the death penalty around the country. I fully expect Virginia and Texas to be the last two holdouts.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
Nebraska Kills the Death Penalty - Belsnickel - 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM