Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump
(10-23-2019, 01:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also we aren't supposed to READ the entire thing...we are to get a summary from people who KNOW what it says.   Mellow

Heh, I actually initially just read CNN's summary of the statement but I felt like they put forth 5 quotes that were...not that convincing. I thought "Huh, I guess this statement wasn't even that bad for Trump." But they linked the whole statement in that article, so I decided to read it myself since, you know, everyone was touting this as such a huge blow to Trump.

And man...after reading it, I have no idea why CNN chose the 5 quotes they chose.

Like, why not use the quotes I chose where the Quid Pro Quo was specifically spelled out and articulated?

These are the 5 quotes CNN chose:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/politics/bill-taylor-statement-5-explosive-lines/index.html

Quote:"...there was an irregular, informal channel of U.S. policy-making with respect to Ukraine, one which included then-Special Envoy Kurt Volker, Ambassador Sondland, Secretary of Energy Rick Perry, and as I subsequently learned, Mr. Giuliani."

Quote:"Ambassador Sondland told me that he had recommended to President Zelenskyy that he use the phrase, 'I will leave no stone unturned' with regard to 'investigations' when President Zelenskyy spoke with President Trump."

Quote:"...Ambassador Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelenskyy to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 U.S. election."

Quote:"...President Trump did insist that President Zelenskyy go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden and 2016 election interference, and that President Zelenskyy should want to do this himself."

Quote:"...the push to make President Zelenskyy publicly commit to investigations of Burisma and alleged interference in the 2016 election showed how the official foreign policy of the United States was undercut by the irregular efforts led by Mr. Giuliani."

I don't understand what they were thinking when choosing these quotes. Maybe they thought simply the quotes explaining what Trump was asking for would be enough to convince people...I disagree completely. The problem isn't only that Trump asked Zelenskyy to investigate or commit to investigating these things. It was also that Trump was withholding the money, and that Ukraine knew this! That's the relevance of this testimony. We already ***** know Trump was asking for investigations. That is in the transcript of the call. What we need and what could shift opinion is the fact that Trump did, in fact, withhold the money on those conditions. The Quid Pro Quo.

And the fact that all 5 quotes CNN chose to highlight completely ignore the QPQ portion of the testimony is mind blowing to me.

I am more and more hesitant to rely on CNN for news not because they are fake news, but because they appear to be incompetent news. They read that statement and somehow missed the actual important information. I feel my quotes more accurately portray the important information of that testimony.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump - CJD - 10-23-2019, 01:56 PM