Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Points on offense by qtr. thru 1st half of season
(10-29-2019, 10:19 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Finally someone that gets it.

I was telling a buddy of mine this analogy: 

I grew up playing very high level soccer and even played semiprofessional until an injury at age 19. In soccer, there are half-field drills where the offense gets to just come down on 4 defenders and a goalie the entire time. All the defenders can do is clear it back to midfield to a neutral guy, who then becomes an attacker and begins the attack again... and again.... and again. Over time, the offense figures the defense out, wears them down, and continues a barrage of shots gifted by the short field and, of course, finds goals. To then look at statistics from that drill and count up time of possession and shots, crosses, goals, etc and then say the defense sucks is moronic. It's a drill designed to give the offense high odds to achieve those things.

That's what is happening to the Bengals defense. They are basically playing defense for the large majority of the first half and (usually) the 3rd quarter. Eventually, though, the other team starts finding more success due to figuring them out, exhaustion, etc. Are they perfect? Of course not. Are they getting even the slightest bit of help? Not hardly.

In fairness, the AZ game was there for the defense to win and they failed.

The amount of Bengals fans on here who don't watch the games and then want to sit back and boxscore scout the team are hilarious. Like the soccer drill referenced above, why is it a shocker the Bengals defense has awful stats at the end of games?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Points on offense by qtr. thru 1st half of season - PDub80 - 10-29-2019, 10:39 AM