Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can being cold burn fat?
You will see more than one possible answer if you research this but based on what I've read..

(10-08-2015, 05:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Your body is always burning calories to keep the body at 98.6 so it seems logical that if you are out in the cold your body would have to burn more calories to keep your temperature up.

Yes, your body does burn more calories in cold.  If you are at rest in just moderately cooler temperatures the it isn't enough to be noteable.  If you are at rest and cold enough to be shivering the level is noticeable but not advisable since to decrease a chance of hypothermia the vessels in the arms and legs will contract to centralize heat in the core.

If you are exercising the extra calorie burn is not significant because your body will cease to burn extra calories once the heat reaches a certain point (the reason for heart rate increase is the extra oxygen, creating heat is a by-product once you are beyond a normal temperature).

Quote:One concern would be that maybe your body would burn up muscle in order to preserve the insulating effect of fat.

Some studies indicate the body does utilize different sources due to temperature but muscle isn't in the equation.  In warmer temps early results indicate the body burns fat first.  In cooler temps it goes to carbs first.

Quote:i would think that even being in relatively warm water (80 degrees) would burn calories since water is such an effective conductor of heat.

I haven't seen anything in regards to the temperature of water if the body is submerged.  But going off of what I mentioned already, if you want to burn fat I would assume warmer water is better but cooler water the body would burn carbs first.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Can being cold burn fat? - michaelsean - 10-08-2015, 05:27 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - Tiger Teeth - 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - bfine32 - 10-09-2015, 09:49 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - magikod - 10-10-2015, 06:08 AM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - Penn - 10-08-2015, 06:32 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - michaelsean - 10-09-2015, 12:18 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - XenoMorph - 10-09-2015, 12:06 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - Aquapod770 - 10-09-2015, 10:47 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - HarleyDog - 10-13-2015, 10:50 PM
RE: Can being cold burn fat? - Toy Cannon - 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM