Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas City overwhelmingly votes to remove Martin Luther King's name from historic st
(11-06-2019, 04:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This looks like an example where one side jumped to racism too quickly.

That said, it's surprising to me that there isn't already an MLKJ Blvd in KC. I figured every city had one by now. The guy is right that that doesn't reflect favorably on the city that so many people are eager to remove the name, even if it was changed improperly.

They renamed a street here to MLKJ Blvd a few years back (which was against because I think it is stupid to name things in a city for someone that never even set foot in the place). At the time, an older gentleman had recently moved to the area to be near his son, a professor of music at the university. His name was Fred Gibson and he was a classmate of King's in seminary and worked with him throughout the rest of his life, marching alongside him. He and I got to know each other as we lived in the same building and went to church together. It wasn't long before his passing in 2015 that we were chatting about the renaming that had occurred and he said "you know, one thing that no one ever talks about whenever things are named after MLK is that he would have hated it. He would've hated having things named after him because it puts the focus on him and that is never where he wanted it to be."

We had a lot of interesting conversations about his work with King and his time trying to carry on the legacy and the mission King left him with after his passing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kansas City overwhelmingly votes to remove Martin Luther King's name from historic st - Belsnickel - 11-06-2019, 10:14 PM