Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas City overwhelmingly votes to remove Martin Luther King's name from historic st
(11-07-2019, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I completely understand why street names, confederate statues, and the battle flags are hot issues with African Americans.  I just wish they were able to get as much interest in protesting for issues that would have more effect on their lives.

For example school funding has to change.  Schools are regulated by the State, but the funding is controlled by local sales tax.  The biggest reason the poor have trouble breaking the cycle of poverty is that they have the shittiest schools.  Sate laws need to change so that all schools receive the same amount of funding.  That would have a MASSIVE impact on the lives of the poor, yet there are not crowds of people protesting over something like that.

Guess it is just easier to go after the low hanging fruit even though it does nothing to help the lives of poor/minorities.

I know in Cincinnati and here in Indiana, schools are funded through Property Taxes and in the more affluent areas, Levy's pass with ease. The inner cities, like Cincinnati where apartments outnumber homes have a hard time passing...it makes no sense. 

It makes no sense that a school levy can't pass when those who will not be paying for it but will benefit from it will not vote for it.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kansas City overwhelmingly votes to remove Martin Luther King's name from historic st - Nebuchadnezzar - 11-07-2019, 05:47 PM