Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuilding the Defense First is the Key to Success
The road to the Cincinnati Bengals' next Super Bowl appearance begins on the defensive side of the ball. After watching every play of yesterday's horrific loss to the Baltimore Ravens, it's time to re-rebuild. The last Bengal rebuild started on defense with Mike Zimmer being hired as defensive coordinator in 2008. In 2009, the Bengals had the fourth ranked defense in the entire league, swept the AFC North, and this is when the 2009-2015 playoff run began. Once the Bengals lost Mike Zimmer, the downhill slide began. Now, four years and four defensive coordinators later, the Cincinnati defense is #32 which is dead last.

I like Lou Anarumo. He's a great guy. I liked Teryl Austin. He kept Ndamukong Suh on a short leash in Detroit. I liked Marvin Lewis. His 2000 Baltimore Ravens' defense still holds the scoring defense record almost two decades later. I liked Paul Guenther. He was the last true linebacker Subject Matter Expert the Bengals hired. However, none of these four defensive coordinators was or, in the case of Lou, is the long term solution. The first thing to do, as I see it, is to convince a big name defensive coordinator with a solid record of results to come to coach in Cincinnati. If the Front Office would open their wallet and cede some control, it could happen.

The two men who immediately come to mind are Greg Schiano and Jack Del Rio. I understand Jack Del Rio was interviewed by the Bengals but there was no agreement. If someone knows more, please chime in. Greg Schiano was hired by the Patriots but did not continue in the job for personal reasons. If anyone knows more, please share. Maybe some of you have even better suggestions.

If a big name defensive coordinator comes to Cincinnati he must be given complete freedom to select players who fit his scheme and to release players who do not. It's probably time to look at trade deals involving Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and Dre Kirkpatrick anyway. Like it or not, these fine players are past their primes -- but to be fair I'm not sure Dre Kirkpatrick had a prime. Drafting edge rusher Chase Young from Ohio State might prove to be the linchpin of a new era in defense in Cincinnati.

A shutdown defense is vital to any team who desires a Lombardi Trophy. The Cincinnati Bengals were on the right track in 2009 and ten years later the team needs to think defense first again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Rebuilding the Defense First is the Key to Success - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-11-2019, 10:41 AM