Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's comments on SC and DACA
"no angels"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/11/12/daca-recipients-careers-law-depend-supreme-court-ruling/2501676001/

Quote:When the Supreme Court considers the plight this week of nearly 700,000 undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children, one of them plans to be seated at the defense table.

Luis Cortes Romero, who arrived in the country at the tender age of 1 three decades ago, is an immigration lawyer. He's also among the immigrants who could be deported by the Trump administration if it wins its effort to have the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program declared unlawful. 

Cortes' rapid rise in the legal profession may be unusual, but he's not alone among DACA recipients. Others are prosecutors and defense lawyers, paralegals and law students, even plaintiffs in the three cases being heard Tuesday. Their experiences in a country that denies them a path to citizenship have led them to the law – literally.

“It affects your life so much that you become obsessed with how to fix it," says Cortes, 31, a partner at the Immigrant Advocacy & Litigation Center in Washington State. "Being a DACA recipient and being so desperate for an answer really has me entrenched.”

DACA recipients include people like Pedro Villalobos, a family violence prosecutor in Travis County, Texas, home to the attorney general who has led the effort to end the program.

They include people like Jose Magaña-Salgado, whose path to immigration law began when his home state of Arizona cracked down on financial aid for undocumented students.

They include people like Dulce Garcia, whose experience running her own small law firm in San Diego led her to become a lead plaintiff in the battle. When she worried that her prominence could endanger undocumented members of her family, she said, her mother responded: "It's time to stand up, even if it means we're going to get deported."

And they include students at some of the nation's most prominent law schools, from Harvard – where Mitchell Santos Toledo was motivated to apply because of the roadblocks in his way – to UCLA, where Lisette Candia Diaz will begin her studies next fall after working for the American Civil Liberties Union's Immigrant Rights Project.

People, human beings, who made the most of the American dream after coming here when they had no choice and the POTUS and his minions want them kicked out because....

I know, I know..."illegals!!!!1!!!111!!!"  

What good it does to kick out lawyers and contributing members of society I have no idea.  I guess it makes white people feel better?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
Trump's comments on SC and DACA - GMDino - 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - GMDino - 11-12-2019, 11:55 AM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - CJD - 11-12-2019, 01:02 PM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - CJD - 11-12-2019, 11:41 PM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - CJD - 11-13-2019, 09:07 AM