Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's comments on SC and DACA
(11-13-2019, 01:10 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I agree, it is interesting.  For example, would a person arrested for crime for which they were offered, and successfully completed, a diversion program be exempt?  What constitutes a "significant misdemeanor"?

If I'm being a cynical government employee I'm thinking that line is solely there to provide cover for being seen as punishing people for something they haven't been convicted of.  It doesn't say arrests only mean you qualify for a reason.  I'm sure the requirements are slightly nebulous so as to allow for wiggle room when deciding on borderline cases, in either direction.

Yea, it definitely seems like they kept the language vague so that they could allow for a subjective determination in edge cases.

As far as if DACA should be kept or not...As the husband of an immigrant who came here when she was 11 months old, I am obviously biased towards helping the DACA recipients. My wife wasn't illegal and wasn't a part of DACA (Her parents came on student visas, had a third child who is an American citizen, applied for permanent residency through that child and won, but my wife was over the age of 18 by that time, so the judge ruled she not get permanent residency. He did eventually approve her ability to stay in the country and get work authorizations as long as she didn't commit any crimes though, after initially ordering for her deportation), but the immigration system in this country is so brutal (and expensive), I definitely empathize with them.

I think they could very easily strip the DACA felons of their status and maintain the status for the non-criminals, if that is truly the issue. But I think the real problem many conservatives have with DACA is it sets a precedent to "reward" people who break the law. If they keep DACA, they fear more people will bring their children illegally and hope for DACA Round 2 to sweep them up.

Is this a realistic fear? I'm not certain...the reason DACA was created in the first place was because these children did not break the law, their parents did. So ruling against DACA has real world consequences for people who did nothing wrong. 

When my wife was ordered to be deported from the only country she had ever known to an unfamiliar country that she has no memory of, away from her parents and sister and with no real support structure outside of a few aunts she had never met before...it was genuinely traumatic for her (and me and her family and friends). I don't know why conservatives are so eager to condemn over 700,000 people, and their loved ones, to that fate simply out of principal.

Messages In This Thread
Trump's comments on SC and DACA - GMDino - 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - CJD - 11-12-2019, 01:02 PM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - CJD - 11-12-2019, 11:41 PM
RE: Trump's comments on SC and DACA - CJD - 11-13-2019, 09:07 AM