Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupau Bright spot on a dismal defense
(11-22-2019, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 30/185 qualifying DTs is merit worthy.  Like I said toward the beginning of this thread;  There are tons of threads about what is wrong with the Bengals right now, I just find it nice to see something positive to latch onto for the future.

Except they don't tell you what is "qualifying" (as in, 10% of the snaps? 25%? 50%? A grand total of 50 snaps? Playing in two games?)

Considering there's only about 48 starting DTs in the league (~50% of the teams use a 3-4), it makes me wonder how low the bar is for qualification that there can be 185. The Bengals have 4 DTs with at least 20% of the defensive snaps played this year. If you figure that number for other 4-3 teams, and half that number for 3-4 teams at roughly a 50-50 split, that's still only 96 DTs. That is a freaking mile away from 185, which makes me think that the qualifying number was made to be laughably big to make that 30 sound better.

Tupuo is playing in 45.4% of the defensive snaps. He's on the bench more often than not. They also don't mention what his pass defense/rush grade is. A guy who is utterly useless in the pass is a liability, because it means you're basically forfit 25% of your rush if they audible to a pass or the DC guesses wrong at what playcall they will use.

There's not nearly enough information in this shady Hobspin article to really get excited, which tells me that it is just classic Hobspin.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Josh Tupau Bright spot on a dismal defense - TheLeonardLeap - 11-22-2019, 10:15 PM