Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020?
(11-25-2019, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: After watching the 49ers bytch-slap the Packers yesterday, I keep coming back to what they have done in recent drafts with their early picks:

In descending order:

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

And they got there QB in FA. Why shouldn't the Bengals go with a proven starter like Newton who might need a change of scenery and draft Young with #1 overall? I think that has a much higher success potential than sticking with our lousy defense and putting a young QB without crazy mobility behind that line.

The 49ers weren't in the same position we are. The closest they came to the #1 overall pick (before getting Jimmy G) was 2017, when they picked 3rd overall. The consensus top QB prospect was Mitch Trubisky, and he was off the board when the 49ers took Solomon Thomas. That's probably why the 49ers traded for Jimmy later that year. I'm guessing that if Trubisky were available to them, he'd be a 49er.

(11-25-2019, 12:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I'd sign Conklin and Scherff...but then I was like: Would those guys be willing to come here and play for Turner?

I don't think coach is a big deal. I think money is the problem. Our FO isn't willing to overpay at all, and sometimes you need to overpay a bit to get a good free agent's attention. They're certainly not coming here for the prestige of being a Bengal.

(11-25-2019, 02:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: If we take Burrow then we also need to plan on redshirting him year one so that the huge issues on OL can be addressed before he goes out there.

The o-line can be fixed in one off-season if we're serious about it. Jonah will be back. Throw in a couple of good signings and we'd be golden.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020? - Shake n Blake - 11-25-2019, 03:18 PM