Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020?
(11-26-2019, 08:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Watson was still on the board....I think they wanted to build their team through the draft and get a more proven commodity that had at least done it for a few games at the NFL level.  It must be nice to have an offensive coach that can say to himself:  He can make the throws I need him to make, and I know he will fit my system.  Our system sucks.  

I don't think it is money as much as where they spend it.  They will pay their players a nice second contract if they earn it.  The problem has been so many recent whiffs on the draft.  If you are only going to focus on building through the draft, you better be damn good at it.  They were for some time, and then they had a few really bad years (including last year).  

So was Pat Mahomes. Some had their doubts about those guys, and that's why they slipped out of the top 10.

It's all speculation, but I'm looking at the fact that the consensus top QB prospect (at the time) was off the board. If he'd been there, it's hard to see the 49ers needing a QB that badly and passing, but maybe they would've?

Money was probably too simple a way to put it. I was talking specifically about cheapness in free agency. Mike isn't tight with his own players, but he isn't willing to spend the extra dollars he'd need to, to attract an external free agent. When we can't/won't use free agency to address a problem, that puts undue pressure on the draft as the sole source of solving roster issues.

We've failed a lot in the draft lately. A problem that gets magnified when we rely on it so extensively. Then (to add to your point about "where" we spend), we give silly contracts to guys like Gio and Hart, and refuse to cut dead weight like Cordy Glenn. We could easily afford to slightly overpay some actual good players...instead we're overpaying scrubs or guys we barely use.

It seems we carry some dead weight or dumb contracts every year. That's a huge problem, IMO, and it doesn't get talked about enough as a reason why we struggle.

Gaah
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020? - Shake n Blake - 11-26-2019, 09:17 PM