Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else was conflicted during this game?
(12-09-2019, 02:15 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: On the A Football Life episode, it mentioned how Plamer was close to being benched at USC due to poor play, but Norm Chow helped him to reach his potential.  Palmer has always needed a coach to help instill confidence, I think.  He also struggled at Oakland as well.  It wasn't until Arians got to him that he started doing well again.

I see what you are saying though.  Peyton Manning is the only QB I can think of that might have had enough mojo to actually implement some change here.  More likely, he would have wanted out after the 07 season.  

With that said, if this team can't build around Burrow, then I don't know what other option there is than to just shut the whole thing down.   
I get what you're saying and I think your observation about Peyton Manning is spot-on; he was basically the offensive coordinator and play caller in Indianapolis...

...but who says a team must be built around a quarterback?  This has worked, of course, but what about other options?  The Bengals have one of the best running backs in the league in Joe Mixon; an offense constructed around his strengths would be formidable.  The Cleveland Browns were built around Jim Brown for years and it worked beautifully.  One could build a team around four great wide receivers:  AJ Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, and Auden Tate.  You have no idea how bad I want to see those four guys on the field at the same time in 2020!  The Steelers build their entire offense around their offensive line which is perennially outstanding.*

Teams can be built around defense too.  The Ravens under Marvin Lewis were built around their linebackers and defensive line.  The 49ers are built around Nick Bosa.  The Bears are built around Khalil Mack.  Mike Zimmer built the Bengals' best defenses around the defensive line and Vontaze Burfict.

This brings me back to Andy Dalton; no, not his current capabilities but what we saw in his early years.  Other than center, Cincinnati had a decent offensive line, serviceable running backs in Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jeremy Hill, and Giovani Bernard, and of course the great AJ Green along with Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones at wide receiver -- and let's not forget Jermaine Gresham at tight end.  That lineup was so good when Andy went down, AJ McCarron came in and made the offense work almost seamlessly.  Heck, the Bengals were less than two minutes from winning a playoff game with that bunch!

What happened next?  Sanu, Gresham, Jones, and Hill all left.  Andrew Whitworth left.  Kevin Zeitler left.  Their replacements were not good, either.  Cedric Ogbuehi wasn't even worthy of lacing up Andrew Whitworth's cleats.  The scrubs who made the Bengals' first team starting in 2016 were horrible.  It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys. 

*Yes, I know, the Steelers hold a lot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who else was conflicted during this game? - Fan_in_Kettering - 12-09-2019, 09:46 AM