Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else was conflicted during this game?
(12-09-2019, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How many quality starters did we get from this past draft?

Theoretically, picking at 1, 33, and 65 should be atleast 2 upgrades. But, I doubt that it is here.

Then, yeah sign 2 offensive lineman and a LB.

That's the path. Some teams would take that path. I just don't know that the Bengals would.

I'm hoping by next year it'll be at least two, albeit Williams has yet to play a snap and Pratt remains work in progress.

They missed in the second round but that's where I think picking 33rd instead of 42nd makes such a difference. They tried to trade up for an O-lineman last year but Jawaan Taylor 35th and Cody Ford 38th were all gone by 42 (and Dalton Risner at 41). They'd have been there at 33 and that would then have been a very different looking draft.

The tiers in the NFL aren't even - and vary from draft to draft - but there's maybe around 4-5 top tier players in a draft, then maybe another 30 something players with first round grades. If you're picking 1st and 33rd you're probably going to be getting two players with "first round" grades as opposed to when you're picking 11th and 42nd when you get just one.

The Bengals' last 5 picks from 33 to 40 have been Bernard (37), Dalton (35), Maulauga (38), Steinbach (33), Chad (36) - not everyone will be to your taste but that's been a hugely productive range to pick from. When they've been picking later in that round they've hit some home runs (Whitworth 55, Dunlap 54, Boyd 55) but as many busts (Fisher 53, Hunt 53, Still 53).

I think they'll probably get 3 starters from next year's draft but they probably won't all be immediate starters.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who else was conflicted during this game? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM