Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Can't Wait Until the End of the Year Press Conference
(12-12-2019, 02:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If you think Duke Tobin is a GM in all but name then I'm not sure you know exactly what it is that a GM does.

Just because a few people like to claim Tobin is essentially our GM doesn't make it close to true.

Has he gained additiinal input? Sure. Does he do more, or have more say, than the average scouting director? Perhaps he does. I'll even concede that he has a unique role, in a unique front office structure. But none of this makes him close to the "real GM" people often call for.

A GM usually oversees the entire football operations side of the organization. Does that describe Duke Tobin to you.

They often are in charge of the firing and hiring of coaches. Do you think Tobin is the one who ultimately made the decision to can Marvin? Do you think he had the most control in the signing of Taylor.

GM's generally lead and execute contract negotiations. Does Tobin do that? No he does not. Katie does.

The list goes on and on. Duke Tobin has nowhere close the role of an actual GM. Just because he's been given some additional duties doesn't make it so. 

Seriously, guys. Please stop with the nonsense that Tobin is essentially our GM. He's a yes man that worked his way into the family's circle. He has input, and he's in a unique situation, in a very unique structure. But Ozzie Newsome he is not. His role and responsibility is nowhere near. 

Also, to suggest that a legit GM would make it no difference on the field, and it is nothing more than a title, is one of the more ridiculous takes I've read on here.  All GM's, in every sport, greatly affect on the field performance. To say differently is like saying an architect has no influence on a building. It's beyond idiotic.

The point is that if you pressure the Bengals to name a GM they'll just give Tobin the title.

I do think Tobin was the one with the most control in choosing Taylor. He's on record as having led the search and that puts him in prime position to control the outcome. 

At the end of the day if you appoint a GM they are still answerable to the owner and the owner is hands on.
Any GM in Cincy is still going to have people looking over his shoulder, the Browns controlling the purse strings, having to work within the constraints ownership impose upon them. A fancy title doesn't change that.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Can't Wait Until the End of the Year Press Conference - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 12-12-2019, 04:46 PM