Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st pick overall in better shape
(12-17-2019, 08:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It isn't a steadfast rule.  The Redskins gave a king's ransom to get RGIII and for a very brief period, it seemed to pay off.  

As far as why would the Dolphins give up all that for that pick, it is for the very reasons you stated later:  different schools of thought. 

It doesn't have to be the Dolphins, either.  What if a team like Jacksonville decides to mortgage everything to go after him....trying to gain attendance in the south?

I have stated a number of times that the debate is likely pointless and the Bengals will be taking Burrow, but I can't help but think if you are offered such a deal that passing on it is like passing on the Saints draft for Akili Smith all over again (and no, I don't think Burrow will still be drunk at some practices).  

(12-17-2019, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know...like a throwing shoulder for a QB.  That is why Miami passed on Brees.  How did that work out for them?  Every situation has different risks.  Again, I only consider this scenario if they got an absolute haul of draft picks.  
If Miami is picking third and realistically has their choice of any other QB in the draft and is willing to give up 3 1's for Burrow, that should tell you something.  Either they think he's that good, the other QB'S are that bad, or both.

Minishew has played well for the Jags.  5-5 record as a starter, 17 TD's, 5 picks, and a QBR in the 90's.  If we're talking about team financials, Burrow will sell more tickets and merchandise than any other player the Bengals could take.

Not trading a pick will always be bad if you draft a bust.  I'm sure the Colts had a ton of offers when they took Peyton and I doubt they're kicking themselves for passing on them.

Brees is a bad example.  He rode the pine as a rookie and posted QBR's of 76 and 67 the following 2 years.  With the rookie wage scale, any current team would move on after that and draft another QB.  The Chargers basically rehabbed and developed him for the Saints. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
1st pick overall in better shape - t3r3e3 - 12-15-2019, 06:25 PM
RE: 1st pick overall in better shape - CJD - 12-15-2019, 06:33 PM
RE: 1st pick overall in better shape - J24 - 12-16-2019, 02:46 AM
RE: 1st pick overall in better shape - Whatever - 12-17-2019, 12:10 PM