Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Circle Game or Neo Nazi symbol?
(12-18-2019, 12:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean the "okay" symbol isn't widespread? It's literally the universal symbol for the word "okay". Every president the U.S. has had for the last 30 years has flashed it. Every NBA player who hits a big three flashes it. It  the universal symbol of SCUBA diving for "I'm okay'.

This is actually interesting, because it's not the upside down symbol that is supposedly racist but the right side up version. In fact the fingers pointing upward was said to make our the letter 'W" while the circle and your palm created the "p". 

[Image: OkayLarge267x296.jpg?itok=BAkTglHS]

You yourself have already confused that symbol, along with the media, and made the upside down version which doesn't make those symbolic letters into the culprit. The ADL actually points out that the upside down game version of the symbol is mistakenly associated with white supremacy. People in a rush to not accidentally, maybe, sort of, offend someone have basically created a new meaning of a symbol that isn't even the same symbol that is kind of sort of recognized as a fringe white supremacy symbol.

Well you learned me something then. I thought it was supposed to be upside down, as with the shooter in the picture in my earlier post and other pictures I've seen.

The right side up "ok" is not universal. It means "you are an asshole" in Southern Europe, the Middle East, and South America. I once read a funny story about a balloonist who went to compete in a balloon race in Brazil. He hired four locals to hold down his balloon, waiting to begin the race. All the ropes were set, so he gave his holders the ok sign. They threw down the ropes and walked off. He was disqualified. lol

Your latter point about people wishing to exploit the ambiguity applies here. A person can throw the sign around now and sow anger and uncertainty.

"Covfefe" would be a more likely prospect for WP investment than thumbs up. Much less work; already connected to Trump.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Circle Game or Neo Nazi symbol? - Dill - 12-18-2019, 03:50 PM