Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Evangelical Magazine Supports Impeachment and Removal
(12-21-2019, 12:58 AM)Dill Wrote: Well said, especially the bolded.

Also, virtually every church invests in defining what Christians are or are not. If they did not, how could they proselytize or continue generation after generation?

Most Christians of whatever denomination subscribe to the belief that Jesus was son of God and the way back to Him. Someone who says Mohammad was the final prophet of that God is not a Christian.

Most Christians also agree that Jesus was a model for how people should behave; and that behavior is prescribed in teachings and parables.

Most also agree that there is some point in holding people who claim to be Christian accountable for the claim in one way or another. That's had a bad flavor since the Inquisition, but it is difficult to promote and maintain an identity group without doing so to some degree. When I was in high school, a pastor in a nearby city was voted out by his congregation because he had an affair. They did not burn him to death or claim he was not a Christian, but they did find him unfit to lead, because a pastor is supposed to model Christianity. The congregation assumed they could tell what was Christian behavior and what was not.

The editors of CT are (belatedly) doing rather the same thing. They assume they know what Christian behavior is and is not. And they assume they know the consequences of confusing or ignoring what is or is not, the moral risk of Christians believing they already know which evil men can be tolerated as God's instruments without compromising God's teachings.

Let's just go with Benton and you have heard different teachings than I. I've heard endless sermons on what makes a good christian and how we should walk in the light; but I've never heard a teaching on how man should judge man.

Was the prostitute that Jesus stopped the stoning of deserving of man's judgement? Apparently Benton and you have heard teachings that lead you to believe that. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying we've been taught differently and I pray your personally relationship with Christ is sound.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evangelical Magazine Supports Impeachment and Removal - bfine32 - 12-21-2019, 01:31 AM