Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months
(12-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: What to do with Pick 1? 
Chronologically this is not the first decision they need to make, but it has an impact on the other decisions they will need to make.  The obvious choice is to take Burrow and begin rebuilding around him.  But Chase Young is the best player in the draft.  Is there a QB worth taking later?  Do you "try" to get a top 2 pick next year?  Or do you trade down with Miami and take Tua or Herbert and an OL or LB with another 1st round pick?

What to do with Dalton?
If they take Chase Young, or a later QB, Dalton has to stay. Unless they decide to tank next year for Lawrence or Fields. Assuming the draft Burrow, Dalton goes on the trade market.  What is he worth?  I don't see us getting more than a 3 for him, but that 3 could be a guard or LB that could make the team better, or contribute to trading up.

What to do with AJ Green?
If you tag him he may not show up for the off season stuff.  If we have Burrow, having Green here will go a long way in helping him.  I personally wouldn't give him Julio money, but I'd try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  If they can't sign him to a reasonable contract for a 30+ year old receiver who has missed most of the past 2 seasons, then consider a tag and trade.  Sentimentally I want to keep him, but he may want out.  I want at least a top 40 pick for him.

What if Joe Mixon holds out for a big new contract?
Mixon could be a great back with even an average line.  But is a back worth big money?  Especially in a pass first league?  Has he put his "college issues" behind him enough to get back what he would be worth?

Has Eifert earned a new contract?
If you told me he would have played the whole season back in September I would not have believed it.  But he's been used so sparingly he's been practically invisible, and hasn't made the kind of catches he has previously been known for.  I think you let him go and wish him well.

Do you try to trade Dunlap and/or Atkins?
Can you get enough in return for the 2 aging stars of the defense to make it worth trading them?  Geno has a chance to be a Hall of Fame player, is he worth keeping because of that?  If you decide Chase Young is the guy it makes trading Dunlap a lot easier decision.  If we can get a 2 for him I might do it anyway.

What to do with the coaching staff?
I doubt Taylor is going anywhere.  But what about Turner? Or Anarumo? Can Duffner take over the defense?  Are any coaches who are about to get fired upgrades to anyone on our staff, and willing to come?

How do you replace Bullock?
I don't know if there are any kickers in this draft worth taking.  Good kickers don't often make free agency, the cost/value ratio is too good.  So anything they do is likely to be a gamble on some level, but despite his kick today, he's not the answer for what we are trying to build.

Free agents?
If they let Dalton and Glenn go they will have a ton of cap money.  They need to change their philosophy this year.  A couple of smart free agent moves and this team could be much more competitive.  And they have too many needs to be able to address them all in the draft this year.  They need a WR, CB, LB, and an OL or 2, and a kicker, not to mention better overall depth.

What would you add?  What do you disagree with?

I'd trade that pick for 2 1's.
Why? Because the front office uses free agency as a band aid.
The Bengals are very frugal when it comes acquiring FA talent 

I'd trade Dalton. The Bengals could use that money to help.secure AJ.

Resign Green. He is the face and the heartbeat of the offense. He wants to retire a Bengal. 
The Bengals do not have a WR to replace him as a,#1. Boyd is a ideal #2.

Do not overpay Mixon. 
2 of the best RBs in the NFL play for teams that are not going to the playoffs...Chubb and Mixon 

Eifert has earned a new contract. 
He was criminally under used this year. The Pats wanted Eifert for a reason.

Keep.Dunlap. trade Atkins. 
Atkins simply is not dominant anymore. Yes from time to time he will.flash. he will overpower no name centers 
He disapears vs AFC North foes 
He can be traded for more draft picks. 

Coaching staff. Fire Anarumo. Fire Turner. Fire Bicknell. Fire Callahan. 
Hired seasoned coordinators who have resumes that have success at NFL level 

Free agency 
Target olineman. LBers. Safties who can make plays.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months - impactplaya - 12-23-2019, 08:27 PM