Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Evangelical Magazine Supports Impeachment and Removal
I gave it a read.

I disagree with the characterization of the impeachment inquiry and I think suggesting Trump didn't have an oppurtunity to give his side is just their attempt to get conservatives willing to listen.

With regards to the message, I think it will fall on deaf ears. The fact that Trump is morally bankrupt isn't a matter of debate nor is anyone suggesting he isn't. Those who need to hear this likely do not care. It is my belief that they justify his immorality by saying that the ends justify the means. They have been led to believe that their religion and values are under attack. They honestly believe things like protecting the rights of the LGBT community is an attack on their own rights. They likely believed that Obama was a muslim. They're the kind of people who will proclaim their devotion to protecting Israel but then are anti-Semitic. When the leaders of their religion are quasi-celebrities giving sermons in mega churches while wearing tens of thousands of dollars worth of clothes, they've compromised something.

Of course, this is just the loud ones. I hope that they do not describe the majority of those who see moral leadership or divine involvement in Trump. My grandmother was adamant that she did not support Trump because of his lacking moral character... and now she's full on in support of him and eats up all of the stuff these televangelist tell her about it. I do not think Christianity Today's message is really directed at all Christians, just a specific subset.

I was raised Catholic. I grew disillusioned with the bureaucracy of religion. To me, it should be a personal, spiritual experience. My wife wants to reconnect with her Jewish faith before we have kids, and I am willing to go with her. I've met the local rabbi through a field trip. He's a really great guy. I doubt it will really draw me in, but it seems far more aligned to my personal beliefs than other options. So much of my perspective of organized religion has been tainted by those I described earlier, I am trying to see the other sides of it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evangelical Magazine Supports Impeachment and Removal - BmorePat87 - 12-27-2019, 07:48 PM