Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Evangelical Magazine Supports Impeachment and Removal
(12-27-2019, 08:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, I'm glad that point in bold did not escape you. 

I'm surprise the Liberal (which I believe accurately describes you) feels a POTUS is unfit to serve because he is sinful. 

Should POTUS be removed because of religion? This is the simple question I asked of the OP about the author's stance pages ago, but all I got was dug in heels and "read it for yourself"

I think he is unfit for a variety of reasons, but sinful is the terminology that you are using, so I stuck with it for this reasoning as to why you feel like you have to keep repeating yourself that you do find him sinful. Liberals here know you think he's sinful. We are just commenting on the fact that that sinfulness is just an observation to you, rather than a cause to take action (specifically, to remove him from office).

As far as him being sinful just like everyone else, it's true. But he far exceeds the average, in my opinion. He takes active steps of abusing the power he's been given and he is using his position as POTUS as a vehicle to cause harm to certain factions and groups of people. Those are the reasons I think he's unfit to serve. Those things are also sinful, but they are not the primary reason for me, personally.

I can't speak to the author's stance, I can only speak towards my reasoning. But I don't think "because of religion" is a primary reason for his removal. It's just a happenstance of his behavior that religion should almost certainly support his removal.

From the article itself: "The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral."

So I believe the author is saying that his behavior is both (religiously) immoral AND illegal (if you define "illegal" as a violation of the Constitution, which I think is an argument that holds water). In essence: his immorality is likely "icing on the cake" to the author and cause to convince other Christians to turn on the President, an act that the author seemingly is surprised has not yet occurred, based on the teachings of the Bible.

(12-27-2019, 08:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say this: Benton and I have had the back and forth. So far 6 people have chimed in on their views of the back and forth. Of those 6, 4 seem to agree with Benton's judgement POV (Dill, Fred, Dino, CJD) three of those are professed atheists, I must apologize I'm unsure of CJD's beliefs, but get this: Whatever he tells me I will believe. The other 2 that have chimed in are professed Christian and they side with the non-judgmental side of the debate. You guys can attempt to cheapen the overall point by focusing totally on Trump, but you're missing it.

Of course Christians have been judging Christians for 2,000 years, but let's not twist judgement of acts with judgement of one's personal relationship of his/her savior.

I do not believe that the universe was created in seven 24 hour days. There are Christians that will say that belief in unchristian. There are other Christians that state one must be immersed in water to be saved and sprinkling doesn't count. My believe is it really doesn't matter, Some Christians will judge that as unchristian.

But do not come in here and read the bible like a textbook and pretend to know it. It is a trick of Satan. If enough atheists can convince folks you must do this, and then this, and then this. Furthermore, you must act like this, and then this, and then this. Many undecided may turn away from the grace that is FREE.  

And, for whatever it's worth, I was raised Christian and espouse Christian views and beliefs. I believe in God. I believe in Heaven and Hell. I believe that Jesus was our savior.

I, like you, don't take some (or, in my case, many) of the things in the Bible as literal re-tellings of what happened in the Biblical age, but more as stories or occurrences that were most likely exaggerated with the intention of teaching a moral or lesson. Some may say that means I'm not really a Christian, but I disagree.

Because of my non-literal take on Christianity, I have a general distaste for organized religion (specifically, the Catholic church, but some of the same skepticism applies to the Christian denominations as well) because of the way that its leaders use it to manipulate their followers. I find most Televangelists to be repugnant because of how predatory they are on the people who follow them and listen to them due to their belief in God. The vast majority of local churches, however, I am very supportive of. I had a church that I'd attended for several years before leaving them in late 2016, when the pastor endorsed Donald Trump for President during one of his sermons, someone I believe spits in the very face of anyone who is a follower of Christ.

None of this changes anything, but you said you were unsure of my beliefs, so I felt like I may as well respond.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evangelical Magazine Supports Impeachment and Removal - CJD - 12-27-2019, 09:10 PM