Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
(12-28-2019, 12:46 AM)samhain Wrote: When the Bengals signed Fred Johnson, it was thought to be a wise move.  I loved it.  Even Steelers bloggers/beat writers acknowledged that it was tough to see him leave Pittsburgh.  His physical  stature and reach are certainly that of a NFL lineman.

Fast forward to this Sunday.  He's no longer a practice squad guard, but a starting LT for the Bengals.  Hobspin is calling him the first move of the "offseason" in an episode of what's sure to be "Dumpster Diving With The Inbreds Part Deux".  

I got no beef with Johnson as a player.  This team needs all the help it can get up front.  I just have to question their desire to improve the quality of play/player in that particular group when tossing out a practice squad guard as a starting LT is their idea of proactivity.  

It's not about disliking the move. It's about the kind of narrative/activity that will likely follow.  Zero significant outside FAs added to help the OL, which has sucked badly since 2015.  Keeping the same coach/personnel intact minus Cordy and plus Jonah.  Likely selecting a first overall quarterback and sticking him behind this collection of wayward castoffs in his rookie year.  What's more, we get to watch another year of a filet mignon running back in Mixon running behind a Vienna sausage offensive line.  Idiotic.

Despite Hobson's narrative, it's not uncommon for teams who are out of it to throw some young players into the fire so they can evaluate them in game action.  You've gotta find out if the kid can compete for a starting job or be a viable swing T.  Johnson has apparently worked at both T spots since arriving here.  Lots of coaches don't like 6'7" IOL.  

Remember, couple of years ago, we wasted a 1st round pick on Billy Price when we already had a solid starting C sitting on the bench in Hopkins.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early. - Whatever - 12-28-2019, 01:59 AM
Fred Johnson - fredtoast - 01-08-2020, 04:36 PM
RE: Fred Johnson - masonbengals fan - 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM
RE: Fred Johnson - corpjet - 01-08-2020, 11:00 PM
RE: Fred Johnson - HarleyDog - 01-08-2020, 11:07 PM