Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
(12-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: Despite Hobson's narrative, it's not uncommon for teams who are out of it to throw some young players into the fire so they can evaluate them in game action.  You've gotta find out if the kid can compete for a starting job or be a viable swing T.  Johnson has apparently worked at both T spots since arriving here.  Lots of coaches don't like 6'7" IOL.  

Remember, couple of years ago, we wasted a 1st round pick on Billy Price when we already had a solid starting C sitting on the bench in Hopkins.  

I don't disagree with the evaluation aspect of it. 

What makes me skeptical is the people in charge of personnel here and there track record/historical tendencies.  They signed Hart as a stopgap because they had two of the worst OTs in the league.  Hart was slightly better and a lot more dependable.  He proceeds to hold down the fort, play extremely poorly, albeit on a consistent basis, and then 2018 ends.  I honest to god thought he was done here.  Then, suddenly he's our starting RT for possibly the next 3 seasons.  

Players don't have to be good for the inbreds to value them.  They can look the part, not get hurt, and be grateful to have jobs and the family will eat it up.  Anything that prevents them from putting in the work of a real NFL front office during free agency.

I hope that Fred Johnson is Willie Anderson reborn.  I hope he gives us what Villanueva gave Pittsburgh when he came out of nowhere and became a solid starting LT.  Unfortunately, I get a familiar feeling from their praise of him that makes me think it's likely that upgrades to the o-line are not forthcoming.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early. - samhain - 12-28-2019, 03:33 AM
Fred Johnson - fredtoast - 01-08-2020, 04:36 PM
RE: Fred Johnson - masonbengals fan - 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM
RE: Fred Johnson - corpjet - 01-08-2020, 11:00 PM
RE: Fred Johnson - HarleyDog - 01-08-2020, 11:07 PM