Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon wants to be a Bengal for life...
The Bengals have a decent amount of leverage so I'd love to see him signed now, so long as that leverage is properly used and accounted for, and his market is set accordingly.

Here's how I view his worth...

He's under contract for next year @ 1.2 mil. The franchise tag currently sits at 11.2 mil. So we can control his rights for the next two seasons at an average of 6 mil and some change. This is with no upfront money, and limited guarantees. If he rips up him knee next year and he's done forever he's seeing next to nothing. The leverage is there, more now than the following offseason.

He's not an elite back (yet?). Not even close. The rushing numbers are still a ways off from the guys who saw the mega-deals. And hurting him more is the lack of production in the passing game. The top tier guys are catching 60-70-80+ balls a year. No way I'm paying him Elliot/Bell/Gurley/Johnson money. Not only are those deals stupid and risky imo, his production doesn't warrant it.

But what happens after those 4 guys is the dollar amount drop off the table. The 5th highest paid back this year was Freemen at 8.25. And I think he falls close to that.

Id want a 5 year deal, which is essentially extending him 3 years beyond what you control now. 5 years at 40-48 mil, something like that. No way am I paying over 10 per though. They really should get this done now though. That or just let him walk and replace him with some other cheaper capable back.

No tag, no mega-deal!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon wants to be a Bengal for life... - Wes Mantooth - 12-31-2019, 07:25 PM