Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Imagine Carson Palmer Calling Joe Burrow?
(12-31-2019, 04:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure why people are thinking top tier college QBs are averse to joining bad teams... #1 overall pick QBs always go to the worst team....

If you want to be the number 1 overall pick in the draft, which is a huge matter of pride to these players, you are going to go to a bad team. Competitors believe they can make a bad team good. If Joe doesn't want to come to Cinci because we have a bad record, then I don't want him here.

There is a difference between a bad record and a dysfunctional franchise model.  Yes, I'd wager 1st overall QBs know they are going to a bad team, but when that bad team that year also happens to be a franchise that has shown long-term issues I would wager the fear grows just a bit.  Being a 1st overall pick prospect while a team like the Bengals, Lions, or Browns hold the top pick is a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

I don't think Burrow will freak out or hold out, but I can see how some organizations being last in the league looks worse than others if that makes sense.  Hell, look how much we didn't even care about the Browns having the 1st overall pick and how it didn't matter to us if they took Mayfield or Darnold or Allen or Saquon Barkley...we were sure the guy they picked was going to just flop because they're the Browns.

So bad team is one thing, but bad team of a bad franchise is a double whammy, to be sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imagine Carson Palmer Calling Joe Burrow? - Nately120 - 01-01-2020, 02:48 PM